I help clients design and improve their software so that it is efficient, usable and distinctive. With over 15 years of experience and a Master's in Human Computer Interaction from Carnegie Mellon University, I have worked on scores of projects involving desktop applications, web applications, mobile device applications and web sites and robotics. Often I'm helping improve or update an existing application. Other times we're designing from a blank sheet of paper.
Since Jan of 2014 I have been working with Altisource Portfolio Solutions to re-design their suite of mortgage servicing software. Touching almost 10% of all mortgages in the US, Altisource is one of those really big companies you have never heard of. As the User Experience Manager for the Atlanta office, I lead a small but growing team of UX experts who are re-imagining the way mortgage servicing software behaves.
For most of 2013 I was working on healthcare IT projects designing physican practice management tools and electronic medical record systems for desktop and iPad use.
Prior to that I spent two years (most of 2011 and 2012) designing mobile apps and a mobile website for Intercontinental Hotels Group.
Most of my software work has been focused on applications used to get work done, not consumer or marketing oriented web sites. With experience in sales and business management, I bring a special set of skills to my engagements and am able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
When able to conduct field research and observation of users in their work environment, I can help the organization and the project team better understand the context in which their product will be used. Uncovering and describing the nuances and idiosyncrasies found in every workplace provides the important QUALITATIVE information that affects issues such as:
- Rate of adoption of new technology
- Ability of the product to handle exceptions
- Making software that has an element of delightfulness to it
- Generating positive endorsements from early adopters which will encourage those who may be resistant to new tools
- Creating a better reputation for IT and the development team within the overall organization
- Software that not only automates but adds real value to the workday
To visualize the application and designs I use the typical set of tools such as Omnigraffle, Photoshop, iRise, Axure, Visio, Keynote and a few other tools.
Early visualization of the product has many advantages. Some that I have seen on my own projects include:
- Helping large groups of stakeholders with competing interests arrive at a shared project goal
- Avoiding costly rework after coding has begun
- Allowing management to decide NOT to build something that was shown to be more complex than originally thought
- Enabling early user feedback to guide future design and development work
- Shortening development time
- Enabling deeper iterations to uncover details before coding
Having worked as the analyst/designer/project manager on my own software as well as for large and small clients, I have an intimate understanding of the entire development life cycle.
This site will be used to document some of my ideas and experiences and to offer prospective clients some portfolio access.